We would like to show you, that there are not only beautiful beaches around the Lake Balaton, but exciting sights waiting to be explored, even when it is a cloudy day. Experience is guaranteed!
Let’s see how to spend 10 great days with your family in this exciting area. We have collected you the most attractive places to visit with kids and a special one for active holiday. You can choose from these tips, and organise a valuable holiday for yourself.
1. Naturally in Gyenesdiás: In the House of Nature Visitor centre, you can learn about the vegetation and the natural values of the Keszthely Hills! Interactive exhibition and eco-club are waiting for the whole family. A few steps further you find the „Imre Festetics” Animal Park, with Hungarian domestic animals. From here you can easily get to the Nagymező (Big Meadow) that is the most popular centre for trips and outings in the forests of the Keszthely-hills. It is worth walking up to the Festetics viewing tower, visit the abandoned stone quarry, which is a fantastic sight today, and discover the so-called Vadlánlik, a cave that is the size of a room created entirely by the wind, or go through the 16 stations of the 1300 m long forest gymnastic track, where you can test your physical abilities.
2. AdvenTour: How to make the most of your family adventure holiday? Visit the Dino and Adventure Park in Rezi. The high ropes course of the Park is great adventure for all ages! After a refreshing move, you can cool down in the Lake Balaton.
3. Cycling day: Discover the West-Balaton region on your bike! Take a pleasant bicycle tour to the bird ringing station in Fenékpuszta, then to Balatonszentgyörgy, where you find the former hunting lodge of the Festetics family, called Starfortress. In the central room of the covered castle there is a more than 30 meters deep well, the rooms of the guards, a typical medieval kitchen, and a unique knight exhibition on the attic. The biggest highlight for children is the pets’ corner and the playground. If you return to Gyenesdiás, try the homemade ice cream specialities at the ice cream parlour Bringatanya. If you still have time and energy, try the Mini golf course in the near.
4. Cultural programme in Keszthely: Visit the Festetics Castle, the third largest castle in the country with the beautiful English Garden. The castle gives home to several exhibitions: the life of Festetics family, unique collection of carriages, palm house with bird park, a model railway on a 500 m2 area and hunting exhibition. Close to the castle can be found the Marzipan Museum and the Toy Museum with 16.000 toys of 100 years. At the end of the day walk down to the port and have a rest on a ship while enjoying the beautiful sunset, or enjoy one of the playgrounds on the shore.
5. From Africa to the Wild West: The first stop of today’s trip is the Africa Museum and the Safari Park in Balatonederics. You find exotic animals there and exhibition of African hunting culture. After the “safari” the little cowboys can try gold washing in the Westernpark in Nemesvita. In the end of the day stop for a moment in Balatongyörök at the panorama point and enjoy the view of the Lake Balaton.
6. In the footsteps of old crafts in Gyenesdiás: at the local smithy you can grab the iron hammer, try his job and learn more about this old craft. In the J & A Pottery House if you sign up, you can join in the creative pottery and admire or buy beautiful traditional Hungarian ceramics. More opportunities for crafting are also in the Herdsman’s house. Don’t miss any of them!
7. Discover magic cities: Tapolca has a natural rarity named Tavasbarlang. This limestone cavern contains a number of lakes that offer visitors the opportunity to experience in-cave rowing. The Mill Pond and its surroundings are the most romantic part of the town with a bit of Mediterranean atmosphere. From here only 17 kilometres away you find Sümeg. The Sümeg fort high at the top of the limestone cliff was built in the 13th century. Today the Castle and its surroundings have many spectacular programmes all year round in the taste of the glorious Hungarian Middle Ages. If you are in Sümeg, don’t miss the Afrika Hunting Museum.
8. The mysterious „Kis-Balaton”: Visit one of the most special landscapes in our country. The 14,800 ha swamp is part of the Upper Balaton National Park. The Kányavári Isle is a part of the lacustrine habitat of the Balaton Minor which may be visited free of charge. The lookouts provide an incomparable view of this unique realm of birds. Don’t miss to visit the buffalo preserve in Kápolnapuszta, and the Kis-Balaton House located in Zalavár with an interactive exhibition and a water playground next to it.
9. Where sunshine is just a plus: If you spend you holiday at the Lake Balaton in the summer time, Gyenesdias has among others two of the most beautiful beaches of the region: the Beach of Diás offers for its little guests, sport fans and for those who are longing for relaxation varied possibilities. A wide range of services, colourful animation programmes make your day complete with your family. The Beach of Gyenes is preferred by sun-seekers and families with kids due to its intimate atmosphere.
10. Hidden treasures of Gyenesdiás: In Livi’s Animal Farm you can meet domestic pets. If you are brave enough you may feed them, or even milk a goat. From the animal farm, we suggest a nice trip to the Light cross, that can be reached with a short walk in the forest from Pince köz. At the cross a wonderful view awaits the hikers. On the Dolomite nature trail visitors can learn about the diverse vegetation of the Keszthely Hills with help of the info panels. If you have time, discover the so-called Vadlánlik, and visit the abandoned stone quarry. Do not miss the Darnay cellar, event barn and picnic garden! The ancient cellar with its garden, the owner’s hospitality is the best place to chill out after an eventful day.
West-Balaton – the region where uncountable adventure and experience is waiting for the whole family!
Our office is all year round open and offers you all kinds of information in order to make your holiday more comfortable. If you would like to know more about events, guaranteed programmes or you might need help in finding a good restaurant or accommodation, even if you would like to rent-a-bike, please do not hesitate to contact us in Tourinform Office.
H-8315 Gyenesdiás, Hunyadi u. 2.
Tel: +36 83/511-790